WHAT IN THE WORLD? TOP TO BOTTOM


I haven't seen it mentioned any where that the Oberheim Perf/x housings are stackable. They've got four little hooks underneath that lock into what I'd supposed on first glance to just be stylish ventilation slots in the top. Certain things it's nice to have 2 of, and it's nice to think of a pair of Cyclones multiplying each other's results. (reminds that there are such things as anticyclones, too, and Stommel and Moore's Introduction to the Coriolis Force) --just now seeing 'cyclone' as a rare forceful macro expression of otherwise too subtle to notice laws as sometimes algorithmic arts give us hope of

the only place I've seen two Oberheim Cyclones in one photograph is on Tom Moravansky's website and he didn't seem to know about stacking them... I wonder what my reward will be. perhaps an introduction to whoever made the nice design for the housing, panel sticker, manual, cardboard box, etc..

When you imagine getting blown about by a cyclone in which direction are you blown? that is: is your imaginary cyclone an anticyclone? Is it different on TV in the other hemisphere?

further on the inward directions I remember Rich Shull notes that some come to his blog by searching for "looking up and to the right".
second hit on google:
http://prerainmanautism.blogspot.com/2009/11/hit-analysis.html
(and "looking" seems almost redundant: omitting it gets you the same top hit.)

as for Lane_in_PA's comment there on her years-long search, I think the end might be Niko Tinbergen's The Animal In Its World. Volume two of which has been going around with me in my bag for a few weeks at least now. I wonder what my reward will be...
http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2007/09/do-narcissists-attract-supernatural.html?showComment=1248367682796#c2268034495565057470

(I know much of Lane's search image doesn't fit Tinbergen, but I've mis-searched in similar ways myself plenty of times. and I didn't mean 'end' but 'end')

4 comments:

Unknown said...

doing the random google search for your own name can turn up surprising results...

Anyway - no, I didn't know about the stackable nature of the PerF/X series. I've actually been toying with the idea of re-housing the guts into a more user-friendly case with a proper display, more controls, etc.

You do probably know that the PerF/X machines are interchangeable. Copy the Cyclone EPROM, drop it into a Strummer, and now you have another Cyclone (a Cyclone clone?).

yasi chrissy carellel pretty perera said...

wondered when you'd be by!
so yeah, I have 2 Cyclones, and while I did hear that the only difference between Perf/x types is program memory contents, at the moment I'm still digging into the Cyclone-pair itself. What I'd really like is the disassembled Cyclone program source as there are a few little things I'd like to try out.

Of course I wouldn't turn away plain hex for any of the other programs. I haven't used any but the cyclone. maybe a Strummer to send to Scott Jaeger while he's thinking about his six output burst generator..

door prize- here's a clipping service: google.com/alerts/

Unknown said...

Of the lot, the Cyclone is certainly the prize. Drummer can be cool, but I haven't spent enough time with it (same idea as the Cyclone - randomize velocity, slight timing variations, etc makes for a funkier feel). The UI is such a limiting factor - I want to be able to see all the relevant parameters easily and not have to remember dU, CY, and count in deciheximal.

If/when I start tearing into the re-hosting, I may dump and disassemble the OS.

I have binaries for the Systemizer, Drummer, and Cyclone so far.

Thanks for the door prize. Everyone's a winner because we're all special...

yasi chrissy carellel pretty perera said...

Tom, even though you mentioned 'more controls', I still didn't get it that you were contemplating modifying the program itself til your last comment. I had assumed you meant the UI hardware.

I'm excited to see what changes you come up with. I'll keep you informed of my progress on related fronts: right now I'm learning how to bring out the cyclone's timing variations at the user/patch level (I assume due to setting up background processes eating cycles unevenly). Leading me to form some guesses/intuitions about how the program is laid out time-wise, which I'll investigate from the disassembly end next, and hopefully be able to influence the timing variations in a useful way.

have had many nice discoveries in the past throwing zeros into 8051 hex, but somehow this seems like not quite the occasion. will try of course, but the source sounds appealing

good evening!
Yasi